Friday, November 15, 2019

One of this week's class participants asked me to look over her powerpoint deck for an upcoming presentation.  I made suggestions, mostly to remove wordy slides that could be replaced by simple photos to remind her of her content.  

But what could she do with the graphs that were very wordy but  filled with terrific information?  Speakers too often read slides like this to their audience.  I suggested that she give audience groups or pairs  a great open ended question and have them read and discuss the slide in small groups. 

This slide isn't that complex but if I ask a question such as, "Which vocal situation are you most often experiencing?" I can keep my presentation interactive and still give my audience all this info.

I could ask --  

"How might we simplify and summarize this advice for most vocal issues?" (This is a question I ask myself.  I would probably change this slide which seems unnecessarily repetitive).


Whenever we have a dense slide containing great info, we can see if we can create a moment of discussion.  If our audience is large, allow the group to discuss in pairs.

We want to avoid reading our slides.  Instead, what juicy question might you ask your group if you were presenting this slide?  


 © 2019 Laura Lewis-Barr all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment