Saturday, November 23, 2019

The Power of Story

Over the last few years I’ve been teaching myself how to make stop motion films.  It’s the perfect way to learn my camera since my Barbie actors are very patient with me. I  also can be extremely precise in my storytelling since I can control every frame as I edit. 

I’m still a beginner in all technical elements but I have a huge advantage in this competitive field since I’ve been studying stories all my life, starting in grade school. 

My first two stop motion films were recently accepted as official selections in two film festivals.  I was so thrilled to see my films on the big screen that I flew out to Idaho and drove to Milwaukee.  It was great fun to spend those weekends watching movies and analyzing them. 

No matter the budget (there were some Hollywood type films in the mix), the most important element of a film (or book or play) is the story.  Some films followed story conventions (immerse us in the struggle, avoid detours that don’t make sense) and I could feel how deeply they impacted the audience.  Some lost their way and were far less effective.

After my screening, many audience members gave me a “thumbs up.”  Many talked about how the story had impacted them.  I’m sure that was the only reason I got into the festival.  My films are still flawed technically.

My passion for fictional storytelling is a perfect complement to my work with individuals.  Their goals – sharing their mission, their product, or their resume – can be achieved through the right story, told in the right way.

Won’t you join me in exploring the art of storytelling?  Next class in Chicago is January 9-10, 2020. © 2019 Laura Lewis-Barr all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment